"We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we

find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join

up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love."

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Edwin Eugene

Ok it's that time - I'm finally getting around to writing about Edwin's birth.  After an eventful few days in the hospital in the beginning of November (3rd,4th, and 5th) trying to stop my contractions so that Edwin wouldn't come too early, and then being told to 'take it easy' for several weeks (for the same reason) I was glad when Edwin finally decided to join our family 4 1/2 weeks later.  Although he was still 2 weeks early, I felt like I was over due with all the anticipation from going into early labor.  
The day before Edwin was born (Dec 5th) Robert called and told me that he had to go to the emergency room because he had severely cut his arm while throwing a toilet in a dumpster.  At this point I had just barely started feeling contractions and wasn't really positive if it was the real thing yet.  After several hours and going down to the hospital to visit / pick up Robert I was sure it was the real thing and was just hoping to not have to deliver at St. Joseph's (which is where Robert was).  Lucy was already asleep at my parent's house by the time Robert was all stitched up and we were able to come home, so we left her there for the night.  After several more hours and not much sleep later I decided that it was time to go down to the hospital.
We get to the hospital and find out that I am only dilated to a 3 1/2.  This news is very disappointing to me seeing as I had been a 3 for the past month.  However after waiting in triage for 2 hours and dilating 2 more cm they said I could stay and was checked in.  Since I was positive for group B strep I had to take some antibiotics when I first got to the hospital and then again 4 hours later - meaning the dr. wouldn't come in and break my water until then.  The pain was a lot different with this one than with Lucy and lasted a lot longer.  After some deliberation I decided that I wanted to get an epidural this time.  It was amazing the difference it made!  I went from intense pain and anxiety to being able to relax and actually look forward to the birth of my son.  I was also grateful that since I held out so long I didn't have to go through the annoyance of having a catheter put in.  So, to cut a long story short the dr. came in about an hour later (after the designated 4 hours) broke my water and after about another 30 minutes and several pushes Edwin Eugene was born! It was about 12:45 in the afternoon on Thursday, December 6th, and he weighed 6 lbs 10 1/2 oz and was 19.5 inches long.
I loved that they gave him to me right away.  With Lucy they took her and checked her first because she was so early and so it was several minutes before they finally gave her to me.  But there is nothing quite like having them put that tiny, gooey, perfect baby on your chest right after he is born.  It has definitely been an adjustment having two little ones now, but it has also been wonderful and we are so grateful to have Edwin in our family now!






3 comments:

Sean and Deana said...

I love birth stories! Thats so wonderful that he was able to hold on and not come too early. I agree that being able to hold your little gooy baby right away is the best.

Melanie said...

Yay! Great story - thanks for sharing. :)

Cynthia said...

I need to hold that sweet baby again before he gets too big! (So feel free to visit any time!)